How Is That Working For You?
How is that working for you?
It can be anything. Your relationship. Your job. Your business. Your health. Hopefully your answer is, “It’s working like a champ” or “Couldn’t be better.”
But that isn’t always the answer is it?
We all give a brave face and say things are "awesome" or "going well", but really?
Over the years that simple phrase has acted like a mirror in my life and others I’ve worked with.
Those six little words are powerful in that they are the mirror that you can’t run away from.
You can BS the public, friends, family and even yourself for a while.
But that simple question, if answered honestly, reveals the true nature of your situation, your effort, your relationship, your job and career, or your business.
Whenever I’ve been frustrated with the status quo in some area of my life; or if what I’m doing isn’t working but I’m reluctant to change, I have that hard conversation with myself and ask, “So Bradley, How is that working for you?" Sometimes I don't like the answer.
This is my “go to” question that really cuts to the heart of things in many areas of life, but especially n my work as an executive recruiter and coach. I use it with clients I recruit for, candidates I work with, people I coach and counsel and I use it on myself.
See if it applies to the following work and career related areas in your own life.
- Are you unhappy or unsatisfied with where you career is?
- Are looking for a new path or direction?
- Are you facing career obstacles or dead end?
- Do you know what you want but don’t know how to get there?
- Do you feel stuck at work?
- Are you frustrated or overworked in your business because you can’t get the right people?
- Do you have a constant revolving door of people at your company and can’t fill them fast enough?
- Do you have critical positions open for months because you or your team can’t get enough people?
If you answered "Yes" .... What are you doing to change it?
If the answer is "Nothing" .... “How’s that working for you?"
"If you always do what you always have done, you will always be where you are."
P.S. Maybe everything IS working for you. Awesome! But I'll bet you have a friend or family member who can use this. Be a good neighbor and SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS.